For more than 80 years, the Birmingham Lions Club has served the Birmingham community, primarily through its work with Leader Dogs for the Blind and the visually impaired. In addition to providing eye exams and glasses for residents who otherwise would be without visual services, the Lions have been active in Birmingham in many other ways. During World War II the Lions sold $360,000 worth of war bonds, enough to have a bomber named The City of Birmingham. In 1978, the Lions raised $30,000 to purchase the city its first EMS vehicle, enabling Birmingham to inaugurate advanced emergency medical service. To celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2003, the club gave over $45,000 to Leader Dogs for the Blind, over half of which helped to build the school's new dormitory. More recently, the Lions purchased a defibrillator for the Fire Chief's car, helped the elderly widow of a police officer see again, and contributed to the new Booth Park. Chartered in 1928, Birmingham Lions Club has produced 4 District Governors, 4 S.A. Doge Distinguished Service Award winners, 6 Region Chairs, numerous Zone Chairs and over a dozen Melvin Jones Fellows.
Second Vice President